Phone Number 615-735-9219 EXT # 2021
Fax Number 615-735-8268
How to Pay for College:
A Comprehensive Guide for Students and Parents
Governor's School Applications for 10th and 11th graders: Most applications are due
Dec. 1. Follow links to applications:
- Juniors and seniors may now sign up for ASVAB test which will be given on Nov. 20 from 8-11. This is a free career planning program that is designed to help students understand their strengths/weaknesses as they relate to career opportunities. Students taking this test will participate in a posttest interpretation session that can help them understand their scores and identify suitable occupations based on their skills, interests, and values. Practice books and signup sheets are available in guidance office. Students should sign up by Nov. 16.
- Seniors applying to TTU may meet with an admissions representative on Nov. 9. You may meet to ask any questions about admissions, housing, tours, and/or financial aid, or if you need to apply, you may do so on that day. The application fee is $25.00 and needs to be paid that day with cash, check, or card.
The Bear Wallow Gap trail hike will be November 3rd meet at the Chambers Building by 8:00 A.M.
- UT Knoxville College of Engineering has a program for 10th graders and 12th graders. These programs offer students a chance to learn about the opportunities in engineering on UT campus. For program details, please see SCHS website.
- Seniors, if you want to attend the TTU College Fair on Oct. 23, you must get a permission form from guidance. Return signed form with $10.50 CASH ONLY to guidance by Oct. 22. This fee is for your lunch at Golden Corral, which includes your meal, drink, and tip.
- Seniors, please remember that you should be applying to the school (s) of your choice at this time. Once you apply, please notify guidance so that your transcript will be sent. You should also get a FSA ID for your FAFSA form, and one parent/guardian will need an FSA ID. The guidance office recommends that these things be completed by Oct. 5. Financial Aid night will be Oct. 29, and you will need your FSA IDs that night. Please go to the Smith County High School website, and click under senior information for FSA ID directions. It will also tell you what items to bring for FAFSA night. You will NOT receive any financial aid unless your FAFSA is complete. Also, remember, TN Promise meeting on Oct 11 at 10 in auditorium. Please come to guidance if you need assistance with applications and/or FSA ID.
- Any senior that is planning on applying with Vol State or Cumberland University needs to go see admission respresentatives in the library tomorrow. Application fees will be waived for Cumberland tomorrow.
- Any senior that is planning on going to Austin Peay they will be waiving the application fee until Sept. 28th for students who meet regular admission standards. Apply online now at https://www.apsu.edu/.
- September 28th will be the last day to register for the ACT given at Gordonsville High School on October 27th. Register at actstudent.org.
- All students in grades 9-12 are eligible to complete in the Christopher Columbus Essay Contest. Chapter winners will have a chance to compete in the state and national contests. National winners will earn awards ranging from $300-$1200. For more information, please see guidance.
- The American Legion Oratorical Contest is open to any student in grades 9-12. Students must prepare and deliver an 8-10 minute speech on some aspect of the Constitution. State and national winners may receive scholarships from $1500-$18,000. Details are in guidance office.
- On September 28,2018, students in grades 11th-12th will have the opportunity to attend career day from 8:30 am to 10:00 am at the Smith County Ag Center. Students in 9th & 10th grades will attend from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. They will be transported by bus to the Ag Center. Over seventy booths will be available to offer students information about various careers and post secondary institutions. Students must have a signed in-county field trip permission form which was included with the registration packets at the beginning of the school year to attend. If not, please sign one BEFORE career day in order for your child to participate in field trips within the county. Students who do not have a permission slip will not be allowed to attend.
- The PSAT/NMSQT will be given at SCHS on Oct. 10 from 8-12. Sophomores and juniors may take this test as practice for college entrance exams, and juniors may qualify for the National Merit Scholarship program by taking this exam. Students must pay $16 (cash only) in the guidance office. Students will receive a practice booklet and additional information about the test and will complete an answer sheet prior to the test. Please register as early as possible because a limited number of exams are available.